Like we did last year, last weekend we attended the annual Mt. Pisgah Mushroom Festival (notice the lead image on their webpage). And once again, I smirked while overhearing other people talk about how “deadly poisonous” Amanita muscaria is. Ah well, it’s probably for the best – if you ate the mushroom raw it would really just make you sick, and even if you ate it dried, if you weren’t expecting the trip, it would not be a pleasant or useful experience.
A local news photographer captured many great images of the event, including this one of me and my partner (because I was wearing my felted mushroom hat – also note my Amanita necklace!).
Of course, I just loved this lady’s costume:
And here’s a nice shot of the Amanita section of the specimen display: